Selfish & Selfless
Selfishness and Selflessness
Every living being whether plant, animal or human being has to be selfish to survive in this world. One needs food to survive, protection against the risks in life and enjoyment to reproduce. All these 3 things are not possible if one is not selfish. Question of whether one should be selfless or not does not arise for plants and animals but human always struggle with this dilemma. Consciousness and intellect which are unique endowments to human being, instigates him to think about selflessness and selfishness.
A man is the only creature who is seeking moksha & place in heaven, having fear of hell and rebirth. At the same time he is having greed for enjoyment through whatever he has created so far by using his brain in the direction of art, science and math.
Unlike any animal, human life falls between two extremes such as Angel and devil or Rama and Ravana or Krishna and Kansa. Selfishness takes him towards the extreme of negativeness and selflessness can help in achieving a place in heaven or ultimate moksha.
Selflessness is not possible as long as one is having greed for getting anything or fear of losing something. As long as love and hate will remain, selfishness cannot be avoided & achieving complete selflessness is impossible. Great people like Christ, Mohammada, Krishna, Rama, Mahavira, Buddha are exceptions. However, one should always take a path where his selfishness is not at the cost of others.
5 points to summarize Selfishness & Selflessness:
1) Achieving complete selflessness is not easy. For that one need to completely renounce the materialistic life which is not possible for the common man.
2) Selfishness is not bad as long as it is not at the cost of others.
3) Think and strive for Win-Win situation in life.
4) Clarify your interest and expectation then people do not mind your selfishness.
5) Once your worldly responsibilities are over, walk on the path of equanimity. This will take you towards complete selflessness.