How Management can avoid wasteful thinking hours of employees?
An employee’s thinking process may not be controlled by management. But what management gives employees to think is in the control of management. No organization and its management can guarantee that employee just thinks about organizational growth, if not all the time; then at least during office hours. Probably we all read/know that thoughts direct the words, words drive action, action leads to habit, habit develops character and character decides destiny. I am not sure whether only thinking approach of employees can build the destiny of organization. But I am sure that in some or other way performance of employees is affected their thought process. And employee’s performance is the major factor that decides organization’s fortune.
Few reasons for employees wasting their thinking hours are as follow:
1. Employee is having some serious domestic problem and he/sheis unable to concentrate at work place. Though such situations are not in the control of management but empathetic management will sense the problem and try to help employee to overcome so that their productivity remains unaffected.
2. Roles and responsibilities are not defined. Employees always wonder whether he/she is doing the duty properly or not.
3. Management keep procrastinating important issues without communicating appropriate reasons for the same and employees waste their productive hours thinking and gossiping. Clear communication solves the issue.
4. Lack of systems, procedures, processes & SOP’s leads to difficulty in handling even routine and repetitive issues. Employees keep wondering why management is dumb about such simple things.
5. Management is not pursuing inclusive growth where growth of employer and employees both go hand in hand. Management is concerned and bothered about their own growth but when question of employee’s growth arises, they either ignore it or exploit it. In such environment, employees may keep working because of no option but their mind and soul is not in unisonwith the body/organization.
There can be several other reasons where employee’s thinking maynot be in line with organizational thinking. The responsibility of management is to be alert to such mismatch and take appropriate action so that employee’s thoughts are always working in the interest of organization.
दोहा by अविनाश बागड़े
करे व्यवस्था में सदा, पैदा वह विश्वास।
कर्ता रहे विचार में, सदा कर्म के पास।।