Be Performance Biased
Even though performance is relative, but in my opinion performance is a combination of RESULTS and RELATIONSHIPS at work place. Few employees are good at giving results and few are good at maintaining relationship but outstanding employees are best at both. Measuring the results is easy but measuring the relationship is subjective.
When you have to choose between results and relationship then you have no option but to give weightage to results. If an employee maintains very good relationship with all but not delivering the result then he is of no use. The problem is when an employee is giving very good results but his relationship with his colleagues is bad. You will keep on getting the complaints from other employees but then you have no option but to keep rewarding for his performance. People may feel that it biasedness but I call it “Biasedness for Performance”
5 Tips to handle efficient but unpopular staff:
1) While reviewing the performance of such employees, keep reminding them that they need to improve their behaviour.
2) Frequently send them for training in soft skills.
3) Encourage them to read books on leadership and management.
4) Penalise them for bad behaviour, but with caution. One cannot afford to lose such resource.
5) Reward them for team work.