DSN (Diplomatically Say No)
In my opinion saying NO to someone shall be last option. If a person is seeking your support in any way and in any matter, he/she considers you to be capable of for doing help. Person seeking your support may be family, colleague, friend or acquaintance. If your some time, money or resources can solve his problem, do not consider that you are doing favour to him. Either you are repaying your debt or he will repay you in future. Just help and forget without any expectations.
However some time it so happen that other person is taking undue advantage of your good nature or you are not having enough time, money or resources to help others. In such situation mostly there is no option left but to say NO but wait still you can have 2 options before flatly saying NO.
One is politely DEFER the matter for future and another is REFER the matter to someone else who can help. If both the options are not possible than politely say NO to person and if possible explain the reason why you can not help in the matter and why you have no option but to say NO.
5 Tips to before saying NO.
1. Help the people if you can. Giving without expectation gives immense satisfaction.
2. In case you are not in position to do NOW, politely defer for future.
3. In case you do not have capabilities to help in the matter REFER to other capable person if possible.
4. If not possible to help completely, try to give partial support.
5. If no option other then to say NO then say NO politely and if possible with reasons for not helping.