Person like Stephen Hawking and Abdul Kalam never retires. Not even after death.
Recently when I was devising a retirement policy for the company, the question- “When really a person should retire?” stuck my mind. Most of the companies set an age limit for retirement (normally between 58-65). But in my opinion it is not a wise policy. I have even seen septuagenarians with a very active & creative brain and also people in their 40’s, lethargic and uncreative. An organization should have a policy that the day the person stop adding any value or his contribution falls short in comparison to his compensation or he is not performing his duties diligently, he/she should be asked to retire. People who are doing purely physical job may start losing physical strength as they age. However, people whose job is purely intellectual; they may become more productive with age and experience.
However, if you are working for an organization that has a retirement policy then you have no option but to plan your next inning after retirement. I have seen many people at the time of retirement are physically and mentally fit but only because of not having planned about work-life post retirement, they suddenly start losing their physical and mental strength. And they start ageing rapidly. It may be social work or work with minimal remuneration; one must keep working till he is mentally active. Read about top 10 celebrities who despite of having some kind of physical disability became super-successful. Case of Stephen Hawking is worth reading. http://techblogbiz.blogspot.in/2006/09/ten-famous-disabled-persons-who-became.html?m=1
5 Tips for Planning Life Post Retirement:
1. One should never retire from work unless & until one becomes physically and mentally incapacitated.
2. In case your organization has a retirement policy, plan well in advance about how you are going to keep yourself occupied in constructive way.
3. Sometimes it becomes imperative to give chance to next generation, so it is better to handover reins at appropriate time but plan your future engagements properly.
4. In world there are lots of needy people and organizations who can benefit from your experience. That may not give you a monetary satisfaction but will give lot of spiritual satisfaction.
5. Last but not least; planning your finances, regular income, wealth and will is foremost.
दोहा by अविनाश बागड़े
जब तक मन मस्तिष्क ये, दे ना हमें जवाब।
लगे रहे बस काम पे, नही उमर का दाब।।