AYL (Are You Learning?)
We have an opportunity to learn at every moment, in every situation and from everyone around us. Thomas A. Harris, an American author & screenwriter in his bestselling book “I’m OK, You’re OK” has narrated 4 situations of human interactions as follows:
- I am not OK, You are OK. Normally a child interacts in this way with parent.
- I am OK, You are not OK. Normally parent communicates with a child in this way.
- I am OK, You are OK. Normally an adult interact with another adult in this way.
- I am not OK, You are not OK. A child may interact with another child in this way.
One learns best when he/she behaves like a child or student. When you behave like a parent, you stop learning. Learning is possible only when you think that your pot is still empty. When you have an ego that you know all and you need not learn anything, you start sliding down in knowledge and wisdom.
There are 2 ways to learn:
- To learn from others failures and successes.
- To learn from own failures and successes.
Wise person will use 1st option more than 2nd option because 1st option is the most easy and economical. However, when we learn through 2nd option, it may be time consuming and expensive but it is ever-lasting. In 2nd option one has to go through lot of pain and but that makes learning more effective.
Learning is not enough if it is not applied. Application of knowledge is wisdom. Learning lies between ignorance and wisdom. Learning can be about professional skill or personal attitude but important is that one continues learning till his/her last breath.
5 signs of a lifelong learner:
- Learners are good listeners. They talk less & listen more.
- Learners are inquisitive and question more.
- Mostly the good readers are good learners also.
- Learners are open to criticism. They have fewer egos.
- Learners are adventurous.